Skip to main content

The Old Man and the Sea


Have you ever heard of crush on a book?Well I have one on 'The Old Man and the Sea'. I had to read it as a part of my course work.Normally, I wouldn't have picked up a book with such a weak plot (summary of this book in 5 words 'Old fisherman caught a fish') ,but I am glad I read this one. The old fisherman Santiago is one of the best fictional character I came across. His never say die attitude is the soul of the book. There are number of wonderful quotes in this book. I am picking some of my favourites for this blog. But do read this short book if time permits because you'll find numerous pearls of wisdom in it.

“But man is not made for defeat," he said. "A man can be destroyed but not defeated. ”

“Let him think that I am more man than I am and I will be so.”- may be this the reason Shahrukh Khan keeps on claiming he in number 1 in interviews.

“Every day is a new day. It is better to be lucky. But I would rather be exact. Then when luck comes you are ready.” - this line is my absolute favourite in the book.

“I may not be as stong as I think, but I know many tricks and I have resolution.”

“It's silly not to hope. It's a sin he thought.” 

“Now is no time to think of what you do not have. Think of what you can do with what there is.” 

“If the others heard me talking out loud they would think that I am crazy. But since I am not, I do not care.” 

“But, he thought, I keep them with precision. Only I have no luck anymore. But who knows? Maybe today. Every day is a new day. It is better to be lucky. But I would rather be exact. Then when luck comes you are ready.” 

“His choice had been to stay in the deep dark water far out beyond all snares and traps and treacheries. My choice was to go there to find him beyond all people. Beyond all people in the world. Now we are joined together and have been since noon. And no one to help either one of us.” 

“Now he was proving it again. Each time was a new time and he never thought about the past when he was doing it.” 

 


Popular posts from this blog

Gandhi - The Genius

    There is no need to give an introduction about Mahatma Gandhi . Recently I got into a discussion with few of my friends who feel that Gandhi is given undue importance in Indian history / Freedom movement. I strongly disagree with that opinion and this post is my attempt to further my case. Seriously, non-cooperation movement is one of the most game changing idea of the century . After getting their adrenaline pumped by watching a couple of Bollywood movies on Bhagath Singh or reading about Subhash Chandra Bose some juveniles think that Gandhi is responsible for delay in India getting Independence. On the contrary if everybody co-operated in the non-cooperation movement of Gandhiji we would have got independence 25 years earlier. Just think about the idea - nobody working for government, how will the government run. Britishers would never have enough troups to cope up with the work . It is really a simple idea in which everybody can participate without shedding any bloo

Tesla - The Mad Scientist

After reading a link http://theoatmeal.com/comics/tesla sent by one of my friend I read about Nikola Tesla (source is wikipedia obviously). Man oh man if somebody has to epitomize knowledge for knowledge's sake, it has to be Nikola Tesla. He apparently spent all the money earned in patenting in more research. He is so much into experimenting that people refer to him as mad scientist (made popular by science fiction). I guess he is god among geeks. He showed that college degree isn't a measure of your intelligence (yeah he is a college dropout). The most endearing quality of him that I find inspiring is that he is not one for money or recognition (apparently he has number of inventions that haven't been patented). P.S. He is the second Serb after Djokovic to make my inspirational people list.

MJ - King of Pop

King Of Pop For me Michael Jackson is synonymous to dance. In my previous posts I have listed some qualities of people as inspiring, but then I don't find MJ's personal life that inspiring. You may then wonder why I am listing him in my list of inspirational people. It's because his dance inspires me and millions of dance lovers all over the world. He is a phenomenal singer and the best entertainer too, but when it comes to dance - he is surreal. Some of the best dancers in India like Prabhu Deva and Chiranjeevi (several more) have been heavily inspired by his dance. Whenever I watch the videos of Smooth Criminal or Bad I feel that the music is beating to his dance rather than he dancing to the music.               I can't get enough of MJ's dance even after watching this hundreds of times.